9.25.2006

Little Miss Maya

I just wanted to talk about my first daughter for a minute. I have been blessed in so many ways by this child.

I waited seven long years for her!

Year after year, Michael and I would visit the Ultrasound Man's office to see just exactly was baking in the ole mama oven. We'd think to ourselves, surely we couldn't have FIVE boys in a row. But we did. When I got pregnant again, the trip to get an ultrasound ceased to be an exciting event. Michael went to work. I went to Kaiser alone.

I told the techs, "I have five kids of one sex. I'm not gonna tell you which. If you see something, don't tell me because I don't want to know. No pressure!" So after they gelled up my belly and were crushing my bladder to near-explosion, the tech says quietly, um, I see something very interesting. There I am laying there, thinking my baby has three hands or something. She said, I can clearly see the sex. But you don't want to know, right? And I couldn't help myself! I told her to go ahead and tell me. A girl! I started bawling like a baby. I just couldn't believe it! Finally, my baby girl. Afterward, the techs told me, we just knew you were a boy mama!

Then God blessed me again by allowing her to be born the day before my own birthday. What an awesome gift. When she was a day old, my sister brought me some California rolls and I celebrated the happiest birthday I've had in years.

Her birth was so fast-paced it was a little scary. I went to bed at 1 am and an hour later, I woke up to this huge contraction. It didn't hurt but it alarmed me because it really felt like something powerful was going on in there. I stood by the sink frozen, not wanting to move. Then a couple of minutes later, another one.

Ok, I think this little girl wants out!
I thought to myself.

I called up my midwife Del and let her know what was going on, then I stomped into the livingroom to find Michael playing on the computer.

I started barking orders.

Put water in the birth tub!
Get the supplies out!
I need some towels!
Hurry, this baby is coming!


He looked at me like I was crazy, but when another contraction hit and he saw me there moaning and groaning, he knew I meant business. Once I got into the warm water of the birth tub, it hit me, I am finally going to have a daughter. I was so excited!

I didn't worry about the fact that my midwife still wasn't there, and contractions were coming fast and furious. She called to say she was just getting off the freeway and I yelled loud enough for her to hear, "Huuurrrrrrryyyyyyyy!!!!" I'm thankful this baby decided to come when she did because my midwife's from Orange County...there is no way she would have made it during the day fighting traffic on the 91.

Praise be to God.

The minute Del walked in I was so relieved because her presence is so comforting to me. Now this baby could come when she pleased. And she did. Two hours and forty-five minutes after that first contraction, she was born into the warm water. She was so beautiful. As we were tending to the placenta, Michael wrapped her up and carried her over to his conga drums, where he played a little for her. She was so quiet and content in his arms, as if those drums were familiar to her. And they were, since her daddy had played them often while she was in the womb.

For days I kept checking her, to make sure she was in fact, a girl.

And she is, in so many ways. So different from her brothers. They've all been cavemen during their toddler years, getting by on grunts and finger-pointing. Not Maya. She has spoken clearly ever since she was about ten months old. And she is sassy. She can hold her own against five brothers. She loves X-Men and battling on the trampoline. And when all the boys want to go swimming, she runs after them calling me, "Mama! I need my trunks!"

I just love everything about her, her face, her lips, her hair, her smell, her voice, her cute little clothes and shoes. Her brothers can survive on two pairs of sneakers. Not Maya. She needs white sneakers, boots, sandals, flats, flip-flops, slip-on Vans, Converse, black dressy shoes etc. etc. And don't get me started on her purse collection! That is just the way girls are.

I am so thankful God blessed me with daughters at this season of my life. She is so much fun to raise. And I have a built-in security crew with her big brothers. Who is the most protected female in all the land? A Cortes chick, that's who.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:10 PM

    Denise--that was so sweet. I too have been blessed by sweet Maya. She has a smile that lights up a room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are truly blessed. Much envy.

    ReplyDelete

Break me off something.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover