10.30.2007

Happy Birthday, dear


Today I cease to be the horny old cougar married to a younger man. I am eight months older than Michael, and he loves to snicker about it, so I have earned that title. Heh. I kinda like it, too. But for the next four months, we are the same blessed age. Only I don't have gray hair.

Have you ever felt like you want to do something nice for your loved one on their special day but life just keeps getting in the way? That's what I felt like today. I want to do something sweet for my man but there didn't seem to be enough time in the day, enough energy in my bones, enough creativity in my brain and enough money in my pocket. I am, at this very moment, making him his favorite Pineapple Upside Down cake so that is a little somethin'. Then there is the gift that keeps on giving, that is free, so that is alot of somethin'. Teehee.

I thought I would list ten wonderful things about my man, in celebration of thirty-five years of life and love.

1. He is always kind and searches for the best in people and he never gossips.

2. When he is happy, his smile and booming voice warms our home and it makes everyone else happy and secure.

3. He is a very tender and loving Daddy and our children strive to be in his presence, whether it is to play video games, to go for a bike ride or an early morning hike up Mt. Rubidoux, or to airbrushing alongside him in his studio, they just like to be near Daddy.

4. He trusts me to make wise decisions for our children...when I said I wanted to homeschool our kids, he didn't bat an eyelash...when I said I wanted to try giving birth at home, he agreed and that it was the best option for us...when I struggled with breastfeeding, he supported me and didn't think it was weird when I tried a hundred different things to make it work...when I suggested herbs and homeopathic meds, he swallowed them. Pretty much any weird and/or subversive idea I've had, he has embraced them. It reminds me of Proverbs 31:11, "The heart of her husband trusts in her, And he will have no lack of gain."

5. Because he was my friend first, we can still hang out with one another and laugh together like friends do.

6. He is an awesome big brother. When Angie gave birth to her last child and was going through a heart-breaking divorce, she didn't have anyone available to help her with her new baby and her other little ones. Michael stayed at her apartment for a couple of days, made her meals, cleaned her place, watched her kids and helped her out with her new daughter. Now that is love.

7. Many of the unique, entertaining, creative, funny and bold traits my children have inherited come from Michael. When they walk into a room, they greet everyone, give them a hug and a smile. I know they get that from their Daddy, who is the same way and it makes me feel like I made the right decision to fall in love and marry this man.

8. He makes me laugh. I mean, really laugh. I feel like I can be my true self with him and he will still love me. Lumps, bumps, warts and all.

9. The chil'rens believe he is a super hero. He told them it was a secret and that they couldn't tell anyone. I have showed them the picture above, taken of Michael when we worked at a visual display company in L.A. in '93 or so, and they believe it even more.

10. I trust Michael with my heart and my soul. I know I will never meet another man like him. Sure, there might be more organized men, less stressed out men, more educated men, men with fabulously manicured lawns...but they don't have my sweetie's heart and his devotion to me and his family.

I could go on and on. Happy Birthday, Love. You will always have my heart and I will always have yours.

1 comment:

  1. sounds like you made a good choice when you picked him... have fun celebrating his birthday!

    ReplyDelete

Break me off something.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover