1.09.2008

Viva La Frida


I was sitting in the teacher's lounge yesterday, sipping some coffee and trying to stay awake when one of the mom's at the co-op starting talking about this art exhibit she went to at the Walker Art Center while visiting Minneapolis on Christmas vacation.

"Oh, I thought about you, Denise. All these crazy contemporary artists! Then we walked into this exhibit with paintings by that lady with the unibrow! Frida somethingorother. Do you know who I'm talking about?"

I just stared at her like a moron, mouth open. "You saw an exhibit of Frida Kahlo? Oh.my.goodness. Frida. You have no idea how jealous I am right now!"

Then she started describing some of the paintings she saw that day. The famous painting of Frida and Diego where she is wearing a red shawl (which hangs in my livingroom). The self-portrait with the birds. The self-portrait of her on the bed after her miscarriage. The self-portait of her and the broken column through the middle of her body. The suicide of Dorothy Hale. Self-portrait with thorn necklace. Mouth open again. Like a big moron.. For some strange reason, I felt like crying. You know when people experience something that is so fantastic, but they just don't understand the depth of it, the absolute fantasticalness of it because they don't value it? That's how I felt. I don't know. I'm just premenstrual. That and I'm still butt hurt about missing Dali.

Sigh.

They are celebrating 100 years of Frida Kahlo's life in Mexico by creating the largest retrospective of her work in Mexico City, at the Museo del Palacio de Bellas Artes. Finally, some recognition in her beloved homeland. I always felt she was overshadowed by Diego Rivera. They will be honoring her life and her work all year long.

I would love to go down there and see it. Me and my best homie Amparo, another Frida fanatic from way back in the day. It may seem rather cliche, two brown girls who lived in East L.A that loved Frida (and weren't lesbians!). But we were digging on Frida since the late 80's. It would be a dream trip for us. This is one of those times when I wish I wasn't so darn poor! I could fly down there and experience it. But alas, I am poor. Maybe I could scrape up some pennies and head up to San Francisco, where the exhibit at the Walker Art Center is heading next. It would sure beat Minneapolis, dontcha know!

Viva la Frida!





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover