9.18.2008

Our cool new sculpture

A couple of months ago when we had some artwork up at Back to the Grind, there was this metal sculpture right underneath Michael's piece. It was really cool but I didn't know who the artist was. Then I forgot all about it. In this picture, you can see a the top portion of the sculpture.

Then a couple of weeks ago when we were sweating buckets at the Art Walk in downtown Riverside and we went to get an iced coffee, we saw the sculpture again! People had their stuff propped up against the curb, selling for a pittance of what their art is really worth.

That's what sucks about being an artist sometimes...it's so difficult to put a price tag on your work. I mean, obviously it means very much to the artist...is the number too high and people will laugh at you? Or is it too low...and people are still laughing at what a steal they got your painting for? Then when you consider the hours of work you put into it...the cost of your supplies...the fact that there is only one like it....your own personal attachment to it.

See what I mean, it's really confusing!

Anyhow, we saw that very same sculpture that night, although it didn't register at first. I just thought, that is a really cool piece...where have I seen it before? I passed it up and when I looked back, Michael had stopped in front of it and he was pulling out his wallet. Oh man...I wonder what he is willing to pay for that sculpture? He shook the artist's hand and off we went, with a new sculpture for our home.

When Michael told me how much he paid for it, I was shocked. Not because he overpaid but because the artist was charging a fraction of what it was worth. He even wanted to give Michael his change and Michael waved him off, saying, "Please, just keep it!"

Someone might see a work of art and think a child could have done it, therefore it lacks value to them. Another person might see the beautiful lines, the curves, the unique shadows it casts and it's rustic appeal. And then it becomes very valuable. It wasn't until after we got it home did I realize it was the same sculpture we admired at Back to the Grind.

So the sculpture is now in our livingroom. It's extremely heavy so putting it up on a shelf just wasn't an option. The piece was created by J. Soto because there is a little tag on the base. That's all I know about the artist. It brings a really cool vibe to our home. I can't wait to keep adding to our art collection. I'm so glad Michael had the presence of mind to buy it.

4 comments:

  1. It is beautiful.
    I know that when I see things I want, I am afraid to ask how much they want, because most times they will ask how much I would be willing to pay for it. ARGH! That puts me in a tight spot. I mean, I do not want to insult them!

    We are also going to have to wrestle with this, as my hubs is showing in October's Arts Walk. Jon Veitch came over, and I tried to ask him how much we should ask for Brant's paintings, but he said that it is up to us. That was no help! Then he said to keep the originals and make up prints and sell those.

    Brant is the type that will only paint a certain idea ONE time. He is not willing to do it over and over, no matter how good it looks, and how many people want to buy it.

    Are you going to show again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous. I feel you on the art. I wish I had the $$ for tons of it. So when are you going to sell some of your work so I can buy it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. S--If Brant makes prints of his work then he won't have to paint it more than once. I am getting prints made of my Frida series...a few people were interested in prints. It's a good way to make some money without giving up your original. As far as showing again, I think we're getting involved in the November Art Fusion, I have some stuff going on for day of the dead and then there is a Virgin Mary show at the same gallery my stuff was in, but that's not til December. Big plans but very little free time to do anything...the story of my life!! LOL

    E--My stuff is always on sale, woman. There are a few pieces already promised to people but let me know what you're interested in and I'll give you some prices. Michael wants to put a shopping cart and pay pal option on my blog so peeps can buy my stuff here. That would be cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. D - put me on the print list, please. And I'd like to see more of your stuff around here. Thanks, Cristy S. (from ST.)

    ReplyDelete

Break me off something.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover