6.08.2009

Bedroom mural project

Just because you are an artist doesn't mean you can do all things "artistic". Everyone has their gifts in specific areas. For instance, I'm not very good with pastels. I can't stand to oil paint. And I can't work an airbrush to save my life. Mural painting is one of those areas where I don't excel. Yes, I have painting and rendering skills, but to take on a mural is something else.

What people fail to realize is, painting on a large scale goes way beyond basic painting skills. You gotta play by a whole 'nother set of rules. I'm learning, I'm learning.

A few years ago, I painted a little girl's nursery for a family friend. Not something I do all the time, but it was a small bedroom, near my house and they were really flexible with the hours I could paint. Turned out fantasticals.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago when I got a call from the same family friend who wanted me to hook up the spare room she was making for her five granddaughters, who also happen to be my nieces. Was that confusing? You can figure it out. Follow along!

She wanted their names in pretty script and some bows in pink and brown. I was thinking, bows? Like Christmas bows? Hmmph. Well, okay. Simple enough.

She asked how come I didn't take on more projects like this to make money and I had to confess. It's just too difficult. First off, large scale is challenging for me. Second, my fat ass up and down a step ladder? Um, no thanks. And thirdly, it's a scheduling nightmare. Having to work around my husband's schedule and trying not to exhaust my only faithful and capable babysitter (grandma-mama)...well, in the end, it's just not worth it. But, because I did her other room...and she's practically family...and I know she'll pay me well...and she's got really good snacks at her crib...I said, yes, of course.

So this was the project I was working on a couple of weeks ago. Took me three days. I should say, it took us three days. Without Michael's help, it would have took me way longer. Way, way longer. He put his mural/sign painting expertise to use and helped me with the layout, which is always the most difficult. I can't tell you how thankful I was. He kept saying this was like having a romantic date with me, with each of us painting in our own respective corner.

So sweet.

That is the amazingly awesome part of being married to a fellow artist. He made the work fun. And it was nice to get some peaceful time alone to paint without being disturbed once. I even got to listen to the waterfall that was right outside the window, which was so nice. It made up for almost going partially blind and insane painting script on a very textured, bumpy wall.

But it came out fantabulous. The script? Very feminine. The bows? Classy. I am very pleased with how it turned out.

After we confirmed all the measurements, we created a pounce pattern for the lettering. Ya'll didn't think people do this freehand, did you? Teehee.


The chalk we used to put down the pounce pattern was making a mess, so we ended up just using the brown paint sort of like a stencil.


Michael was trying to photograph his hot mess of a wife. Don't think so! Above the doorway read: I am a child of God. The yellow is the stencil.


She wanted her grandchildren to wake up and read the words, "You are my sunshine."


Miss Selah's wall.


Putting the finishing touches...really, you could just keep going, touching up little things here and there, but you have to realize it's going to be seen from a distance. It takes discipline to stop perfecting every single line!


Miss Amarah's wall and all those cute curlicues.


Miss Stella Purple happened to get her own wall...so I had to give her a little extra oomph, hence the bow tilted to the side. Her own gangsta lean, if you will.


All the names are tied together by the bows and ribbon. And all those swirls? I was kicking myself in the butt later on! Heehee


This is a close-up of the textured wall. I don't know how people who paint outdoor murals do it. That is alot of work! It wasn't easy. But in the end, it turned out lovely!

12 comments:

  1. geektom12:23 PM

    while I work on the OPPOSITE scale (very tiny)-- I know just what you mean about "you could just keep going" on the finishing touches. I always have to stop and remind myself that most people will not be looking at my work with it held up to their eye the way I do...

    B-E-A-yoootiful work-- you guys did an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's absolutely beautiful!!! And believe me I know how much work, anxiety and backache is hidden in there,(I used to paint murals) but all that shows is joy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would so pay to have that done for my mom's house.. she needs help - bad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh so girly! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love this!!! Sooo gorgeous - can you fly over to my house in Belfast and transform my walls??? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh.my.goodness.
    (okay, there's more.)
    You design, children climb.
    Lotsa love,
    C

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cindi5:53 AM

    Absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks AMAZING!! I'd say you SHOULD feel proud. Rock on, chica! Too bad you're not for hire... I'd LOVE to have you out to MD to do a little diddy for my house. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is absolutely beautiful. What little girl wouldn't love that??

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not one for murals but those are AMAZING! I love it! H

    ReplyDelete
  11. *applause*
    it's very lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Break me off something.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover