9.16.2009

New digs.

I'm always on the lookout for some sort of project to do to make my home even more beautiful. When you are on a budget--and by budget, I mean waiting on manna from heaven--you have to be creative with the things you've got. I am notorious for moving furniture around, rehanging pictures, buying new pillows and painting furniture.

I cannot tell you how many times we've rescued furniture from yard sales, church sales, dusty garages and the side of the road. If its "antique" or "vintage", chances are the quality of construction will stand the test of time. All it needs is some TLC.

Before you think I have all the free time in the world to restore furniture, remember this: when someone has the motivation, they can do pretty much anything. If I wanna do something, I can carve out time for it and get it done. If I don't wanna do something, that's when it sits for months in my garage, waiting for my attention.

My brother had this really cool door propped up against the back of his house. What are you gonna do with this? I asked him. Nuthin, he said. Someone had given it to him. Now it was just taking up space. So he gave it to me.

Where it ended up propped against the back of my house.

But I didn't forget about it, oh no no. I was waiting for the time to come when I would redo my room because I was sick to death of the green I've had on the walls since we moved into the house. I knew I could use the door in some way. At first I envisioned the door as a kitchen table. But with the wood carvings it would be impossible to use without fitting a piece of glass over it. And then I had visions of grimy fingerprints and me spraying it with Windex every two seconds. Too impractical. What about for the front door? Too large, not worth cutting down to fit.

Then I was watching HGTV and saw a door used as a headboard.

Bam!

That's what I wanted. So I hoped and prayed the door would be okay under the eaves, away from the wind, rain and sun. Well, a couple of weeks ago, the stars and moon aligned and Michael was ready to help me with my project. Now, I was all set to patch and stain it, but he went ahead and did it, which was really nice of him. Thank you, dear sweet husband!

Well, the beauty of the headboard surpassed my expectations. It came out amazing! It was a nice way to finish off my room, which is made up entirely of vintage furniture, aside from the mattress and duvet. I put up this antique mirror I bought at a yard sale for $3, some old candle holders we spray painted expresso brown to hang on either side of the headboard and oooh la laaaa.

My new digs.


"We" had to sand and patch the door with wood filler before staining it. Whenever Mike works on a project, you will find Sol nearby, helping out. And what wife doesn't enjoy watching her man work shirtless? Eye candy! LOL


The end result. I feel like I'm sleeping in a hotel everyday. Heh.

13 comments:

  1. Tonya4:29 PM

    All I can come up with is WOW! I wish I had and ounce of your type of creativity. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Bear4:29 PM

    I love it! I try so hard to come up with stuff like that but it always end up looking ridiculous. You truly have a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks bitching. I love how you blocked Mike's titties on the picture. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. geektom5:21 PM

    That looks AMAZING! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ricky, I couldn't bear the thought of something feasting their eyes on his man boobs and then fantasizing about em later!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. mujer! Oh my gosh it is GORGEOUS!!! Simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it.. Don't you just love HGTV.. my entire DVR is loaded with episodes waiting to be watched. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - it looks amazing!! Well done, girl! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. gorge.
    gorge.
    gorgeous.
    love it.

    glad to be keeping up with you on your blog again. i've missed it.
    you are mom of the year.
    and more.
    peace sister!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:21 AM

    Your headboard turned out beautiful. It must be wonderful to be so creative and be able to envision the finished product. I for one do not have that gift. Any more doors in stock? I would totally buy one!

    april

    ReplyDelete
  11. Impressive! It is simply perfect. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous1:32 PM

    OMG, you totally scored!! That is beautiful and that dark stain works perfectly!

    Sylvia Terrazas

    ReplyDelete

Break me off something.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover