10.29.2009

Raising a Visionary.

One of the several reasons why Michael and I were compelled to homeschool was because we wanted to give our children the freedom to mature and grow at their own pace. I can take off my mommy goggles every so often and see who they are as individuals. Some are pretty much in line with their age, in terms of maturity. Others have really needed the cushion that homeschooling provides. Then there were the learning challenges. Who else would love them and advocate for them more then their own mother?

Sol just turned 9 last month. He is one of the coolest kids you will ever meet. He always has a smile on his face. He's very lovable and affectionate. He's very helpful. Friendly. He works hard and he loves hard.

But this year is the first year that I began to notice him struggling with his schoolwork. Up until this point, I just thought he was just being scatter-brained. Lazy, even. But I realize now that while everyone else is advancing, he's staying the same. Then I came to understand that he was never at their level to begin with. He's been struggling since day one, getting by on memorization, decoding pictures and having his brother Diego read and write for him, since he constantly flips letters and numbers around--classic signs of dyslexia.

And that just breaks my heart. Because if you knew this boy, you'd know he is very bright. He loves to build things with his hands. He's very active. He's very helpful. He is far from incapable or "dumb".

One thing about Sol...he loves, loves, loves to draw. I think because he faces so many challenges with his learning, the easiest way for him to communicate is to draw. We work on reading, writing and I can visibly see his mind chugging along, like a train on a crooked track...it just doesn't flow smoothly. But put a pencil and drawing pad in front of him, and he just goes and goes, and there is nothing holding him back.

Its like second nature.

Everyone always asks if the chil'rens like to paint and draw, what with having two artists for parents. Some do, more than others. Some show promise, at a very young age. Others looks like should be drawing on the short bus--clearly their gift will be in some other area of life.

But Sol..he's wired for creative expression.

He finished dinner and then got his new "Where the Wild Things Are" book that his grandma bought him, pulled out some paper and set out to create one of the characters. He didn't ask for help. He didn't trace.

He just flowed.

You go, boy.

I like to think that God didn't create him with a learning handicap, or some sort of hopeless disability...but with a different way of seeing things.

He has a fresh pair of eyes.

The same kind of eyes that belong to famous artists, architects, musicians, athletes, inventors and scientists.

So basically, I'm raising a visionary here.

I'm blessed.

5 comments:

  1. Hmmm I read your post and it's like Wow, she's kinda talking about my kid who is 8, sweet as pie, a drawer, an artist, but lately been flunking out of every class in school, he was homeschooled until we moved to a good county and put them back in the system, WRONG Decision, but God slapped me in my behind and me and hubby are pulling them back out, thanks for backing me up girl, us mommas know what our kids special talents are, and who more to nurture that than us and at HOME!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean - 8 years old, is being tested for dyslexia currently. And he does most of his written communication through drawing and "sculpture" or three dimensional paper drawings depending on how you want to look at it. He is exceptionally creative. I am blessed that since I can not homeschool (what with the never actually being home) he has wonderful and supportive teachers who are a thousand times more patient than I could ever hope to be!

    Sol definitely got the right Mommy! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:40 AM

    I was a special education/ elementary ed major in college for a hot minute (long story, anyway...), but one thing I DO remember is that kids with learning difficulties, especially dyslexia? When you give them any sort of intelligence inventory you can throw at them? Score at or above the level of kids their age without dyslexia. Your boy's a smartie-pants, and you're right, his brain's just wired differently. Fearfully and wonderfully made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hubby has dyslexia. College graduate Cum Laude, attending Seminary to be a teacher of the Word one day. School is Hades for him and he has to put in at least double the time compared to most... he's a wonderful artist. He asks me to spell words like "read" and "dose" for him still, but give him a camera and there are no more questions asked. Sol will find his way with what the Lord gifts him in. My hubby's site: davidblairphotography.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love his work... :) You are helping him so much by homeschooling..

    ReplyDelete

Break me off something.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover