7.16.2012

DIY Ombre Maxi Dress

For the past year now, I've been obsessed with all things ombre. Hair extensions, fashion, home accessories. If it's ombre, I'm in love with it. I don't know, I just love the beautiful, painterly effect it gives. As an artist, I know what it takes to blend paint and make something look effortless.

I did my hair back in January and every time I tell myself I have to blog about it, about a hundred other more interesting things come to mind. But for now, here is a shot of my ombre hair.


How purdy.  Every other day, though, I fantasize about dying it back to my natural dark brown. Just cuz. I miss my healthy, dark hair that curls right and doesn't feel like it needs to be moisturized within an inch of its life.

But until then, let's get into this pretty coral maxi dress that I bought at Forever 21 for a mere song. First I bought it in grey and I liked it so much I went back to see what other colors they had. I found a lovely coral shade.

It was a simple, comfortable maxi dress but it needed some oomph to it so I decided to ask my bro Jeshua from BoifromIpanema if he could hook up some tie dye ombre for his big sis using Tulip's One-Step dye from iLovetoCreate.

Of course, he said yes. Because he loves me. Let us proceed then, shall we?


It's about to go down, ya'll.

I used Violet but I pulled out the box of black dye too because I was planning on dying the grey maxi dress. You obviously don't need the black dye for a light color unless you want it to be grey. But whatever you do, don't mix a color with black or else you will end up with...brownish black mud. Not cute. Here is what you need:

The box of dye contains a pair of plastic gloves. How sweet is that?
Oh, forgot about this, too.


It wasn't until we soaked it that we had the presence of mind to check what sort of fabric the dress was. It was 100% rayon. Gulp. For best results, use fabric that is 100% cotton. We decided to throw caution to the wind and dye the rayon fabric anyway. I know, such rebels.

After you mix your dye (the box contains all the instructions), make sure you put on those plastic gloves. If you don't, you will have a week's worth of dyed hands and people might think you are a leper. Now, grab your garment and do this:


I was a little concerned to see so much of the dye rinse out. This might be due to the fact that the maxi dress wasn't 100% cotton. Still, I liked the way the dress turned out. Very subtle at the hem. Just enough to give the maxi dress a little something something.










Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover