9.29.2012

Art is a form of worship


I belong to a church that goes to great lengths to speak to people exactly where they are in life. I've been to churches where everyone functions under a shroud of falseness. I've been to crazy churches where people are "slaying in the Spirit" and wearing white robes. That was weird. I've been to a church where everyone had white hair and canes, and they wanted "church" to stay exactly the same way it was in 1975. And I've been to "holy" churches where only "holy" people could attend.

Ugh, those are the worst.

Part of the vision of Sandals Church is to be real with ourselves, others and God. I'm an artist--that is my real self. I didn't create myself this way--God did.

But where does an artist fit in at church? It's not like the olden days where our skills are sought after to build temples, paint great murals on the ceilings and craft stained glass.

We've been relegated to macaroni crafts and face painting at church events.

This is where my church is different. We have a growing body of artists within the church community, and we do what we can to support one another. They let us be who we were meant to be. They let us share this little known truth: Art is worship.

Maybe you don't believe in God. Maybe you believe you got here by some cosmic accident or an evolutionary blob of goo. All I can say is....that is some extraordinarily awesome goo to make us so individually unique and creative.

Last Sunday, several artists were allowed to paint on the side of the stage during church service. Mike got to participate at the 11:30 am service. This was my experience as a person sitting in the pews.

Staring at his blank canvas before service began.

It felt small and intimate.

Bright lights.

I think I had the best seat in the house.

Mike continued to paint when our pastor came up on stage to teach.

And abstract piece that says, loved.

Love being a part of this church, and the way they accept us crazy artist hooligans.

Every so often, the camera would pan over Michael's shoulder, and we got a glimpse of what he was doing up on the big screen. Under the soft blue lights, I saw him sharing his essence on the canvas and the beauty of it just overwhelmed me. I sat there, tears streaming down my face. It's another facet of my husband that I'm still discovering. His talent is a beautiful thing, despite being so misunderstood for so long. He was in his true element and it felt good.

I'm such a crybaby. *Wipes tears*

But can you understand why it touched me so? It's like getting a glimpse of what's inside a person, and how they worship God through their creativity. And that is a very beautiful thing.



Here is a short clip of last Sunday's service at Sandals Church from Viddy.

6 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. I had tears by the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Me too. :-)

      Delete
  2. That is a really interesting perspective. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our church did that one weekend and it is very neat to see all of the talents God gives used in worship. I wish more churches embraced the arts in more than just music, and more than just once every now and then.

    ReplyDelete

Break me off something.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover