12.12.2012

Blessed Among Women

A recent ornament project based off of artwork I created several years ago.

Today is the day Catholics celebrate la Virgen de Guadalupe. On December 12th, thousands of people converge on Mexico City to make the pilgrimage to the Basilica of Guadalupe. Feast Day. It's a very important date on the Mexican calendar.

No, I may not be Catholic, nor do I worship or pray to her.  Still, she's always held a special place in my heart. To me, she's a cultural icon. When I lived in East L.A, it wasn't uncommon to see lit shrines and nichos built onto people's homes and yards. I grew to love the imagery. I suppose this is why I can incorporate La Virgen into my art and not have any awkward religious overtones. 

All I know is, the Bible says Mary was blessed among women.

That's all the information I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Break me off something.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover