1.29.2013

Mama's That Love Hip Hop

 
I've been a life long fan of Hip Hop.

As a young kid growing up in the 80's, I had an uncle who lived with us, and he was a DJ. This meant a daily diet of Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Slick Rick, Doug E. Fresh, Big Daddy Kane, U.T.F.O, Run D.M.C, Whodini, Newcleus and the Beastie Boys. I was 12 years old but I knew every single word to Whodini's Five Minutes of Funk.

Still do.

As the years went on, the soundtrack of my life involved lots of EPMD, De la Soul, Tribe Called Quest, Erik B. & Rakim, Digital Underground, X-Clan, and N.W.A. Sidenote: Picture a group of white girls and one brown girl (um, that would be me), wind in our hair, driving in the high school parking lot rapping N.W.A's "Gangsta Gangsta" at the top of our lungs.

Ahem.

College passed in a haze of green smoke and my boyfriend (who also happens to be my husband) introduced me to underground hip hop. Along with that, I listened to Ice Cube, Wu Tang Clan, Beatnuts, Gang Starr, The Fugees, Notorious B.I.G, Tupac, Dr. Dre, Nas, Cypress Hill, Busta Rhymes, Snoop Dog and Pharcyde to name a few from that era. Gawd, I'm so old.

I still love hip hop even though I'm a mama with six babies! We just passed it down to our kids. Remember the series of paintings my son Sol was working on? It's an ode to a well-loved rapper (may he rest in peace) and an ode to Hip Hop.

A combination of stencils, spray paint and artist acrylic paint.

Incorporating some vinyl lettering.

Guess who? Yep, it's Dirt McGirt.


"Keep it nappy or braided up" --Old Dirty Bastard from Wu Tang Clan
It's not easy finding other blogger moms that share a love for this genre of music. I was so excited to discover that Xenia from Raised by Culture has a cool button to display on your blog and a way to link up with like-minded mama's that love hip hop.




Go grab the button, but first...tell me what you love about hip hop? Who do you listen to?

1 comment:

  1. "As a young kid growing up in the 80's, I had an uncle who lived with us, and he was a DJ." i could have wrote this! Exactly like me!!

    ReplyDelete

Break me off something.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover