1.21.2013

"I have a dream": MLK Printable

Today is the day we celebrate the life of the honorable Martin Luther King Jr. This is a holiday I love to observe with my children because I feel passionate about what this man stood for.

Yes, he stood for justice.
Racial equality.
Civil rights.
Non-violence.
But the most important thing Martin Luther King Jr. stood for, in my humble opinion, is...love.

One of my favorite quotes from Dr. King:

If you like this quote as much as I do, you can download this free printable here (yay!).

Today is the perfect time to share the life of Martin Luther King Jr. with your children. My husband Michael and I often talk to our kids about being people of color. It's important to share the realities of life, to open their eyes and ears to things that MLK talked about in his speeches. We've sat down and listened to his "I Have a Dream" speech from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in 1963 and it never fails to give me goosebumps and leave me in tears.

In honor of this great man, I asked my husband to draw and create a coloring page for ya'll, my lovely readers.


You can download the free printable here.

 Activity time:
  • Color it with markers. My kids love Le Plume II markers by Marvy Uchida.
  • Cut up small colored pieces of paper and create a collage on top, using the drawing as a guide.
  • Use oil pastels and don't forget to blend your colors--oil pastels are perfect for blending!
  • Color pencils are fun, too, especially large sets with plenty of colors to choose from, like the sets from Prismacolor (these pencils are like buttah, baby).
My little ladies having fun coloring.

I hope you enjoy this Monday with your family and take the time to educate your little ones about Martin Luther King and what he did for our country.

2 comments:

  1. This is such a cool printable! Thanks so much amiga I will be doing this with my kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your site. LOVE this printable! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Break me off something.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover