11.08.2013

Photo Wall Collage with Krylon Spray Paint

I'm a very visual person, and one of my very favorite things to do is hang photos and artwork on the walls of my home. I'm also very sentimental person so, more often than not, the photos and artwork really mean something to me.

I've always wanted to create a photo wall collage with unique, multi-colored frames and I finally made it happen.

Over the years, I've driven my husband crazy because of my large stash of old frames collected from various sources--yard sales, Goodwill, Target, Ikea, my mama's house, etc. Every time he wanted to throw them out, I would give him the side eye like, are you crazy? I have a plan for these things!

Then one day not very long ago, the lovely people from Krylon sent me a big box of spray paint with all the colors of my choice (there are so many more color options online, guys) and I was quite giddy with all of my cans.

Spray paint.
Krylon.
In the best colors. 
Yesss.

When your biggest crafting problem is choosing between Mambo Pink and Watermelon, you're living the good life.
So I hauled out all of my frames and had a spray painting party. I loved all the colors and how vibrant they made my frames look!

Some tips before you spray paint:
  • Make sure you put down some sort of tarp to protect your surface from overspray.
  • Wear plastic gloves.
  • Always work in an area with proper ventilation--outside is preferable.
  • Be sure that your surface is clean and smooth. Some frames might need a coat of primer.
  • Shake your cans well. Listen to that ball jiggle around.
  • Don't try to cover your surface in one coat--all it will do is drip. Spray in even, light coats. 
  • Give paint ample time to dry.
  • If possible, wear a respirator. Your lungs and your liver will thank you.
I chose colors that would complement the green color in my daughter's bedroom.
After I painted what felt like a bajillion frames, I left them out to dry so I could get started on the fun stuff--gathering all of the artwork and photos needed to put inside the frames. I painted a few watercolors to add to the wall, like this mermaid.

I used Grumbacher Academy watercolors on paper.

Before I knew it, I had amassed a nice collection of things to hang up. I incorporated things that we all loved: vintage photos, other watercolors that I painted, ink drawings, our favorite Loteria cards, Frida Kahlo, monogrammed collages, vintage prints from my mother, artwork from Kathy Cano-Murillo and Patrick Murillo and a collection of my favorite cards people have given me over the years.


A few people have asked how I put this wall together and I'll be the first to tell you--I'm terrible. I don't do a layout before, I don't make stencils out of butcher paper or create a formal art display, I don't measure and I don't use a level--you know, all the smart things you should do first, before you poke your wall with a hundred nails.

I just eyeball it and keep going. If something doesn't look right, I don't make extra holes in my wall, I just put another frame up. What can I say, I like to live dangerously.

Of course, our wall isn't finished yet. I'd love to add a few poems an inspirational quotes. Until all the spaces are filled up, we'll keep adding the things we love.


Get social with Krylon on Twitter and Facebook


Disclosure: Krylon sent me several cans of their paint and I wanted to share it with my readers. As always, this is my true and honest opinion.

4 comments:

  1. This is awesome. I usually don't want to emulate frame clusters, but this one is different. I could see this up on my wall. (You know I love anything with Lotería cards incorporated.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey nice post mehn. I love your style of blogging here. The way you writes reminds me of an equally interesting post that I read some time ago on Daniel Uyi's blog: A Lifetime Isn’t Very Long .
    keep up the good work.

    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! I want my Husband to make me extra walls in my house...so I can do this!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this wall. I have a similar but frameless wall. I wish I would get a box of spray paint to play with. http://www.flickr.com/photos/pattipics/405322909/

    ReplyDelete

Break me off something.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover