12.31.2013

Happy 2014 from my family to yours

I painted everyone in my family in a  Pop Art style. Stay tuned for a how-to tutorial later this week.

Goodbye, 2013.

Hello, 2014.

Where did this year go? It seems cliche to say but also very fitting. 2013 has been such an amazing year for me. I started off declaring that I would own my mojo and I like to think that I did! I went places and talked to people and did things I would not have dreamed of. If that ain't owning your mojo I don't know what is.

I have two cherished memories of 2013. One is personal and the other I've shared on my blog before.

My personal memory has to do with my husband, Michael. One night we were sitting in his studio (our cold garage) just chopping it up about life after all of the kids were in bed.  As I looked at his face and the soft crinkles around his eyes, it dawned on me that for nearly seventeen years we have shared the same heartbeat. Our everyday lives, our children, our struggles, our faith, our work--they've all been intertwined with each other. Power struggles, squabbles about money and who left their dirty socks on the coffee table pale in comparison to sharing your daily heartbeat with another person.

That's a beautiful thing. It just made me love him even more.

The other cherished memory has to be the second day of our American Latino Expedition. I was thrust out of my comfort zone and was rewarded with the absolute beauty of our national parks. After the high of boating and kayaking on Lake Powell, the sweetness of floating in that crystal blue water with our laughter bouncing off the red rocks--the memory still makes me want to cry. 

And now, as we enter 2014, I'm looking forward to more adventures to share on my blog. But also, balance. Balance with my health, relationships, art, teaching, homeschooling, travel, writing and blogging. My babies are growing so fast and it makes my heart ache. I want to spend all of my time with them because I realize now how fleeting time is, but I also need to keep working, growing and supporting my family.

From my family to yours, we wish you a blessed New Year.

Peace and love,
 Denise
 

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:06 PM

    I feel such yearning for my little kids. I have adult children. I miss them.
    I, too, realized the only way to become an arrist was by being it. I don't have the degree or the loans. There is no official document or decree. I just am because I create artwork. Sorry, some is crafts. Whatever that means...I can relate to what you are sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss my little kids, too. So precious! And I agree, you have to just BE IT. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

Break me off something.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover