4.11.2014

Kid's DIY: Painted tile squares


My family has mastered the art of taking things we have laying around the house and utilizing them in our crafty endeavors.

You know, making cool stuff.

We recently spent six months of our lives renovating our two bathrooms. This means we accumulated a pile of leftover tile that now sits in our backyard. Looking for a surface that our kids can use to paint on one day, my husband decided to let our younger kids paint on a few white tile squares while he took them to the park.

Smooth tile works best.



Have art supplies, will travel.

They came back with a lovely set of painted tiles. I realize I may be biased, but...I always seem to fall in love with the things my kids make. To me, the tiles looked like small abstract paintings. So fresh and modern!

I asked Xixi to add a few more details at home so I could display them. This is a super easy project that is perfect for outdoor crafting during spring break and beyond--kids will love it!

What you'll need:
  • tile squares (any size or color--ours was white)
  • craft paint
  • paintbrushes
  • Mod Podge Gloss

Artist tip: If your child is right-handed, set up their paint station (i.e craft paint, palette, brushes and water dish) to the right of their paint project. If they're left-handed, set it up on the left. This will help  keep their artwork clean and prevent them from crossing over their work with a drippy paintbrush. It's also a good habit for a young artist to learn.

I like to give my kids the option of three colors to start. Bright colors really make the tiles pop. They can mix and match colors too.  In the photos below, Xixi (age 8), is adding some polka dots to her tile.


We didn't really sketch a design before painting but if you or your child feel like you need a sketch in place, then go ahead and do that first. Another option would be to use painter's tape to create geometric designs. Initials are also fun, too.

It's your tile, do what you want, boo.



Once your paint is dry, brush a coat of Mod Podge Gloss (or Matte--whatever you like) over your tile. This will seal your paint and make it extra fancy.

My painted tiles are currently on display in my front porch and on my mantel.


2 comments:

Break me off something.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover