7.25.2014

Birkenstocks never went out of style


I've always had a thing for Birkenstocks. What can I say? I'm a total 90's babe.

Funny thing is, I never wore them in the 90's. I coveted them, yes. But I was a struggling artist / college student and the idea of forking over $100 and some change for a pair of sandals was out of my league. Nevermind the fact that they were excellent quality and offered great support for people with miserably flat feet like mine, I just couldn't swing it. All of my art teachers wore them, of course. So, I just continued coveting them.

I totally wore the fake ones. Faux-Birks. Probably with socks. Oh yeh, fake Birks and socks all day, baby.

Fast forward a few years and I was now a young mother to four little boys. Deep in my crunchy phase, wearing Mexican peasants tops, I never did my hair, I made my own shampoo and hemorrhoid cream, used a serape purse, fed my kids goat milk and gave birth to my babies in a tub in the middle of my kitchen. I believe it was 2002. I finally got my hands on a pair of Birkenstocks.



Don't ask me how I talked my husband into buying them, seeing as how I was a stay at home mom to four little ones with a non-existent budget and all. But he said yes and so I did.

They hurt at first.

So much so that I was kicking myself for dropping that much coinage on a pair of sandals. Then one day they magically formed to my feet and I wore them all the time. A few non-crunchy friends questioned my fashion judgement but I didn't care. Years passed by and I thought my battle-worn Birkenstocks had seen better days. I figured I would resole them and keep on keeping on. But they got swallowed up the seasons and ever-evolving closet and I forgot about them.

Imagine my surprise to see the Birkenstock trend on the runways and fashion blogs and Instagram earlier this year. My inner hippie, the non-conformist, the crunchy granola mom who gave birth in a tub in the middle of the kitchen was like, yassssss.

Then I remembered the suede pair I had from over twelve years ago. I proceeded to tear up my closet in search of my Birkenstocks from back in the day. I found them.


I slid on my pair of 12 year-old sandals and was like, they're vintage.

I've been wearing them ever since. I shared this photo on Instagram and people still seem polarized on the subject.



It's all good in my hood though. Gently worn in with the Birkenstock stamp slightly faded but they haven't skipped a beat. They are super comfy. A great perk? They seem to help with my plantar fasciitis which apparently is an affliction of middle-age people, according to webMD. Ahem.

I was hunting for a pair of Birkenstock-inspired sandals from Sam & Libby at Target a couple months ago. I kept thinking about those gold studs every time I stalked a Target within a 20 miles radius. Then I found them.

I was victorious. They were only $29.99. And I had a gift card. Boom.


I'll leave out the part about my daughters calling them my "hospital shoes". My "broken foot" shoes. My "lesbi-honest" shoes. Whatever. I'm now saving up my pennies to purchase another pair, the Birko-flor Gizeh. If not the Gizeh's, then I definitely want a pair of clogs for the Fall.

Sorry I'm not sorry, guys. I'm an artist, art teacher and I have flat feet. It's practically mandatory that I wear these shoes.

What do you think about the Birkenstock trend? Birkenstocks...or nah?

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:06 AM

    I love me some Birkenstocks, I have 4 pairs. I've found good deals on them @ ebay, and 6pm.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been stalking Ebay. Good tip!

      Delete
  2. I want the flip flop sandal style one SO BAD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME TOO. Have you seen the knock-offs at Target? Cute and for only $19.99

      Delete

Break me off something.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover